Deep Oscillation® for oedema
“supports and accelerates
Manual Lymphatic Drainage
in preventing and reducing oedema.”
Deep Oscillation® supports and accelerates the effects of Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) in reducing and preventing oedema (1,2,3,4,5).
Deep Oscillation® helps to reduce oedema (swelling). During treatment it first mixes up the stagnant fluid and fibrotic tissue in the space between the cells (the interstitium)and then encourages its flow into the lymphatic vessels.
This is how the manufacturers described this process: “On the level of
the interstitium, Deep Oscillation® causes a “shuffling” of the basic
substance, thus promoting the removal of interstitial fluid as well as
content material. Interstitial septa and fissures are kept open by the
mechanical activation, which helps interstitial drainage. This
significantly accelerates the breakdown of local oedema with aseptic
inflammations”. In chronic conditions Deep Oscillation® helps to
disperse fibrosis and hardening of the tissue.
Manual lymphatic drainage used with high frequency deep oscillations work deeply and effectively to loosen deposits and mix them with the lymph fluids to facilitate flow and drainage. Subsequent low frequency vibrations move tissue strongly and have a distinct ‘pumping’ effect on the collected matter to the lymph system for removal.
During treatment with Deep Oscillation for oedema you will usually first be treated with a faster vibration. To complete the treatment, the frequency used is much slower.
I bought the Hivamat 200 machine because I had a client with Lyme disease, ulcers, nerve pain and lymphoedema. I felt that surely there must be something else to ease her symptoms. My trainer and other lymphoedema therapists recommended Deep Oscillation®. I have treated her a number of times, each time her oedema felt much softer afterwards. The treatment is quite soporific, she has at times struggled to stay awake. She is definitely pleased with the treatment, so much so that she bought her own machine.
I have now used Deep Oscillation for a number of years, and I must say that I could not do without it. Adding Deep Oscillation to MLD using the Casley Smith Method makes the treatment so much more effective.
Deep Oscillation® is fairly well researched as a treatment for lymphoedema. At the bottum of the page are references with a summary of the findings.
P.S. You can also visit "Your MLD and Lymphoedema Questions" to ask any questions or read other people's questions.
P.P.S. And if you have a story you'd like to share why not visit "Your MLD and Lymphoedema Stories". You'll also find other people's stories to read.
You might also be interested in:
or go back to the home page.
References with summaries
- Jar, S.et al (2008): Effect of treatment with low-intensity and extremely low frequency electrostatic fields (Deep Oscillation®) on breast tissue and pain in patients with secondary breast Lymphoedema. J Rehab Med 40, 645-650. Presented at The British Lymphlogy Society Annual Conference, Belfast 2008.
"The results of the pilot study presented here show that Deep Oscillation® performed in addition to manual lymphatic drainage in patients with secondary lymphoedema of the breast substantially improves outcome in terms of alleviation of pain, mobility, and lymphoedema volume reduction compared with manual lymphatic drainage alone. We therefore conclude that more attention should be paid to patients with breast lymphoedema and that treatment with low-intensity and extremely low-frequency electrostatic fields (Deep Oscillation®) could be a useful supplementary therapy in the management of patients with breast Lymphoedema."
- Reißhauer, A. et al. (2007): Evaluation of the effect of Deep Oscillation® (Hivamat®) on tissue changes of the breast in patients with secondary breastlymphedema. European Journal of Lymphology 51 Vol. 17, 30.
"HIVAMAT 200 therapy resulted in significant, clinically relevant, pain reduction. This effect was not observed in the control group. Swelling was subjectively assigned a score of 5.9 on the VAS by the patients at the initial examination. Patients in both groups reported significant reduction in swelling. The reduction of swelling was objectively confirmed by 3D measurement in both groups. The results of our pilot study suggest that additional HIVAMAT 200 therapy supplementary to manual lymphatic drainage can significantly improve outcome in terms of pain alleviation and volume reduction in patients with secondary breast lymphoedema compared to manual lymphatic drainage alone. HIVAMAT 200 therapy is a beneficial supplementary approach in treating breast lymphoedema."
- Gasbarro V. et al (2006): Ruolo dell´oscillazione profonda (Hivamat® 200) nel trattamento fisico del linfedema degli arti. (Role of Hivamat® 200 in the treatment for Lymphoedema of the limbs). La medicina estetica 4 Vol. 30, 373-478.
"Hivamat® 200 is a new instrumental physiotherapeutic method which employs intermittent electrostatic fields with Deep Oscillation® in order to stimulate the transportation of interstitial liquids and their components and allow fibre and tissue layers to regain motility and flexibility. All these effects are achieved through minimal external pressure. On the basis on our experience, the optimum treatment for lymphoedema of the limbs can be achieved between two or three week cycles of Complex Decongestive Therapy (CDP). Thus through a combination of CDP and Hivamat® 200 methods which are able to stimulate transportation on interstitial fluids and their components we can ensure an improvement of the treatment quality, a reduction in treatment times with positive effects on the patient management costs and an improvement of the patients quality of life."
- Brenke R.& Siems. W. (1996): Adjuvante Therapie beim Lymphödem. Akt. Lymphol. 20, 25-29.
Combination of lymphatic drainage together with Hivamat® 200 significantly better results than without Deep Oscillation®.
- Schönfelder G.& Berg. D. (1991): Nebenwirkungen nach brusterhaltender Therapie des Mammakarzinoms. Erste Ergebnisse mit Hivamat®.(Therapy for a carcinoma of the breast followed by early treatment with Deep Oscillation® therapy) Publication Gynäkol. Prax. 15, 109-122.
The authors conclude that "MLD assisted by Deep Oscillation® has significant better results than MLD alone. As the therapy can be applied from the first day after surgery a prophylactic neofacilitation and neoformation of lymph pathways seems to be possible. This can have effects on the prevention of a secondary lymphoedema. A follow-up of the working group proved a lower rate of secondary lymphoedemas in the group treated with Deep Oscillation®".
- Seidl, H. (2006): Das Verfahren Hivamat® im Rahmen der Entstauungstherapie (The therapy method Hivamat® 200 in anti-oedema/deblocking therapy). In Bringezu, G., Schreiner, O.: Lehrbuch der Entstauungstherapie. Heidelberg: Springer Medizin Verlag, 245-250.
- Wehner, H.& Wehner, W. (2005a): Physiologische Zusatzhilfe gegen Lymphstau, Ődem und Schmerzen. Hivamat® 200: Aus dem Klinik- und Praxisalltag nicht mehr wegzudenken. (Experiences with Hivamat® 200 in lymphatic drainage -investigative study) Die Naturheilkunde 4, 43-45.
- Wehner & H., Wehner, W. (2005b): Hivamat® 200 – Erfahrungen mit der apparativen Lymphdrainage und Tiefenmassage bei onkologischem Krankengut in einer Spezialklinik für integrative Medizin. (Hivamat® 200 as physiological adjuvant in lymphatic oedema and pain). Die Naturheilkunde 6, 41-44
- Kashilska Y., Petkov A., Micheva P., Batashki A., Batashk Z. (2015):
Improving the quality of life through effects of treatment with low
intensity extremely low-frequency electrostatic field with sound - DEEP
OSCILLATION® in patients with breast cancer with secondary lymphoedema
to patients treated with standard lymph equipment. Medicine V(1),
381-387. Precis in English in PCNR Issue 11, July 2016. Women who received eeep oscillation did better.
- Teo, I, Coulborn, A, Mannoch, DA (2016) Use of the HIVAMAT® 200 with manual lymphatic drainage in the management of lower-limb lymphoedema and lipoedema. Journal of Lymphoedema,
2016, Vol 11, No 1, pages 49–53. The leg treated with deep oscialltion did better.
List of treatments
- Myofascial Release (MFR) - Saving Hands massage -
- Arvigo Techniques of Maya Abdominal Therapy® - ATMAT -
- Seated Acupressure - Indian Head Massage - Pulsing - Reiki -
- Reflexology - Tsuboki Foot Massage - Hopi Ear Candles -
- Hot and Cold Stone Massage -
- Aromatherapy Massage - Aromatherapy Lymphatic Massage (ALM) -
- Fertility Massage - Pregnancy Massage - Post-natal Massage -
- Dorn Method - Breuss Massage -
- Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD) - Deep Oscillation -
- Holistic Facial - Face Vitality - Total Detox -